Sunday, January 24, 2010

OPAAAA!!

So the thing that makes blogging difficult sometimes is the fact that I'm in London and everything could be a blogging topic/opportunity. Life is sooooo hard.
oh hold up, hold up.

Have you heard??

Blog-stalking is the new Facebook-stalking. Get with it, friends.

So to continue...
I've attempted to write a new post for about 3 days now and always get interrupted either by a trip to Gelatto Mio, or by the pressing need to do homework rather than blog. Hence, here I am...in the laundry room, hoping that I will be able to gather my thoughts and write something coherent for the few family members and friends who read my blog before the swooshing and wooshing of the washing machines stops and tells me to load the next batch of clothes. ok, BREATHE.

The past week has been full of all sorts of events, ranging in levels of interest, flavor, length of time, etc, etc, etc.

One of my favorites was last Friday night. We were all sitting around trying to think of something to do. Well, it was more a matter of DECIDING what to do. After all, we are in London, and there's a never-ending list of museums, musicals, and mayhem to engage in. After much discussion, we decided that this specific Friday night was "Roommate Night" and would be filled with a trip to H&M, Gelato Mio, and The Young Victoria (shopping, dessert, and a movie...we're girls, after all).
It was one of the funnest nights I've had here yet. We were literally laughing the entire night, except during Young Victoria, when we were sighing.

IMG_5318

Saturday was a good day, too. I had mapped out a run that I wanted to go on - and so after sleeping in a little, Michelle and I put on our running shoes and headed down the stairs and out the door. Hyde Park is beautiful whatever the weather, but Saturday was a lovely day. Perhaps I got carried away in the scenery, because before I knew it we were on the busy streets of London, and I was completely turned around. Seriously?? I swear the grid system and mountainous landmarks in Utah have entirely spoiled my sense of direction. After maybe ten minutes I finally told Michelle that I didn't know where we were. Lucky for me, I'm best friends with someone who never seems to get turned around in London. We took the next turn or two, and found ourselves right back at Hyde Park.
Later that day, we went to Platform 9 3/4 and then watched Harry Potter 6, my favorite.

DSC03242

Monday night, I went to Les Miserables. Glorious. Once again, the experience was enhanced by beautiful English accents, incredible voices...oh, and chocolate.

DSC03255
DSC03256

Story time.
Well...history lesson first..
The City of London has been burned down twice.
A very short history lesson, but it has had quite the effect on London.
EVERYWHERE, there are fire extinguishers, fire escapes, etc. I mean, it makes sense.
Yes, well. At 2 AM Tuesday morning, the BYU London Center was awakened by a loud noise, commonly known as a fire alarm. We all crawled out of bed and walked down to the front entryway. Fun fact about me: I do not enjoy getting woken up during the night. I'm sure that I looked really angry, because I was, but I find it funny now. The source of the alarm? An old woman who lives on the other side of the center turned the oven on in her kitchen, closed the door, put a towel at the bottom of the door, and left it. After a few hours, the room had heated up enough to set the detector off. Does that make you a little uncomfortable? Me too.


Tuesday afternoon a few of us in the Civ 201 class went to the Sir John Soane house/museum. If you don't know what that is, look it up. Quite the household.

Yesterday was our second day trip. Destinations: Brighton, Battle Abbey/Hastings, and Rye. Perhaps that trip calls for another post.

Today. Today was a four-class day, and laundry day. Further plans include the Natural History Museum. (rumor has it that there is a photography exhibit...)

1 comment:

Abby said...

you actually have to do homework? hahahaha.